Thursday, April 28, 2011

Wow...bad singing is just sad

Isn't it funny how so many famous singers these days have practically no talent? I mean, you look at Katy Perry, Niki Minaj, Justin Bieber, etc. etc.  Compare them to Elton John, Aretha Franklin, the Beatles, and Freddy Mercury! Seriously, they don't compare. The great singers and songwriters of the 60s and 70s are beginning to die out now (or have already died) and are being replaced by a whiny group of people who rely more on autotune to make their voices perfect than on actual singing lessons.

Now that doesn't apply to all singers. There are a few bands who, though they lack in vocals, make up for in lyrics and interesting music. I'm a fan of OK Go (I admit, I'm a fangirl and have a HUGE crush on the lead singer) as well as Mary J. Blige and some Katy Perry songs (and Ke$ha too). The way that they make their music strikes a chord with me (Ha ha, get it? Strikes a chord? Sorry, I'll go hit my head on a wall now...) and keeps me grooving till the last measure. But this is what makes me sad about today's music business...two examples.

1) AUTOTUNE IS THE BANE OF ALL MUSIC
Seriously, it is. I'm sorry. If you have to rely on a synthesizer to make your voice sound good you just shouldn't be singing. Now Katy Perry and Ke$ha use the autotune in their songs to make interesting sounds with their voice...akin to how sometimes people would hook their mic up to the guitar and make odd sounds that way. However there are some people who use it WAAY too often. Perfect Example: Rebecca Black. She can't sing, the lyrics of "Friday" SUCK, and even the autotune doesn't help her voice. Also, a few things about the music video that bug me:

  1. Seriously, who sleeps with mascara, eyeshadow, and lipgloss on?
  2. Why would a thirteen-year-old skip school? It's a heckuva lot harder to skip school in middle school than in College.
  3. WHAT KIND OF A THIRTEEN-YEAR-OLD DRIVES?! Another part of this question: WHAT THIRTEEN-YEAR-OLD HAS A CONVERTIBLE?!?! My god, did you see that kid's car? That should belong to a fifty-year-old surgeon!
  4. How did they not get pulled over when 
    • They were driving underage?
    • They were driving on the interstate and letting their friends sit ON THE TOP OF THE TRUNK?!
  5. What parents of a thirteen-year-old plans that kind of party? Or rather, what kind of a thirteen-year-old plans a party like that on their own? I know I couldn't
As you can see, I have a lot of issues with that. It's not just the bad writing, it's the bad video, and ESPECIALLY the bad singing.

2) AMERICAN IDOL SUCKS
Now believe me, I've watched American Idol. I watched the season where Jordin Sparks won. Now granted, she had a decent voice, but it didn't measure up to Melinda Dolittle's voice. Now that girl could SING. Now the guy that they had on there...ah...Blake Lewis, he couldn't really sing. He was kept on cause he was cute. Same with Jordin Sparks. It's all based on looks! That's the entirety of the show! The American people choose who is the cutest, not who sings the best. It's sad, and we end up producing Jordin Sparks' and Rebecca Blacks. 

The music business is going down the drain, and no one cares. It all depends on who is popular. Rap now is all about sex, drugs, violence, rape, disrespect towards women, etc. etc. And if you go to a club or a local dance and try to dance to that stuff, you get guys trying to butthump you. I've been to a dance recently, and there I was just dancing and having fun. Then my night was ruined when a guy came up behind me and started dry-humping my a**. I turned around and was like "What the h*** dude?!" and he gave me a weird look and walked away.

Sorry for that rant everyone, but it's just surprising how badly the music business has degraded. Good night, have a safe week, stay out of trouble, don't drink and drive, and I'll see you next time. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment